kanye west – “Runaway.”

This song is in a triple meter, with a moderate to fast tempo. The rhythm is grounded by a steady C-minor scale of low pitch piano keys playing a low note.

The verses are all made up of 8 lines, and each line is 8 measures long. While the chorus is made up of 12 lines, each grouped in 2s, which means that it feels faster than the verses even though the tempo remains constant.

The type of texture used in the song is that of a homophony. With the piano keys as the melody while the cello, drums and percussion are its accompaniment

The song possesses a ternary form of three sections each starting from its downbeat.

The instruments used remain the same all through the song, however at the beginning of the song, the low pitches of the piano were the only instruments played before the accompaniments were introduced at 0:56.

But at 3:30 the drums and percussion were removed leaving only the cello, which could be heard more clearly as it gained strength and power being the only accompaniment of the main melody.

The song has a simple harmony as the pitches combine when played simultaneously. The keys are minor and are consonant with each other.

7 thoughts on “kanye west – “Runaway.”

1. Simon Cotterel

This song had to grow on me, I couldn’t stand to listen to the whining of the piano in the minor key . The music was too sad. The timbre of Kanye ‘s voice provides a nice balance to the song.

2. Margarita Dorofeeva

I agree with Simon, the song is very touching thank to the piano and combination of drums. I would also add that the dynamics of the song are moderately soft. I’ve never heard this song before, but now I think it will become my favorite too.

3. MELISSA REYNAGA

I like the turbulent combination of sounds of this song. In the middle of the song the drum beats underneath the piano notes and the string instruments create a sad triumphant melody at the same time.

4. LILYANA CHU-WONG

I like the way how the drums are making this song more bright and not as dull as when the piano opened it, but still it remains to be in minor. I might be wrong but I feel this song to be in a duple meter, especially when Kayne West sings and raps, it feels like a four meter but like I said I might be wrong since the piano key playing through out is confusing me.

5. George Emihe Post author

yeah. it is hard to tell if it was a duple meter or a triple meter. and i wasnt to sure if there was a string instrument involved. because it seemed like the accompanying instruments used mixed in, hence quite confusing but one that i clearly could hear were the drums.

6. NANCY GONZALEZ

The rhythm starts slow the crescendo appears changing afterwards melody. Dynamics becomes loud.
    This is a homophonic texture. A part of it towards the end seems to be a recitative. Unique video,I like the dancing and its slow beat to it !