Janey Chao, Stephen Francoeur, Ellen Kaufman, Jim Livornese, Ryan Phillips, Linda Rath, Mike Waldman, Kevin wolff
On the CUNY Portal
, we have limited subscription to Gartner Research (we do have access to the magic quadrant charts).
IT Needs for the Library
Jim Livornese asked us to talk about what IT needs the library has. Suggestions we discussed included:
- better, faster, more stable PCs at the ref desk (the best we can offer) that have dual monitors (one angled for the patron, another for the librarian) and speakers (so we can play videos to patrons as needed)
- digital signage
- longer period for guest logins (2 days? 3 days? 1 week?)
- better sense of who to contact in BCTC for what
- software that makes image on instructor’s classroom PC display on the student PCs
- multiple projection screens in the classrooms (and more whiteboards)
Jim Livornese ran through a list of projects that BCTC will be looking into or developing further: podcast producers, Boxee, iTunes U, media development, etc.
[kml_flashembed movie=”http://www.youtube.com/v/2ArIj236UHs” width=”425″ height=”350″ wmode=”transparent” /]
Here is the original Old Spice commercial:
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLTIowBF0kE" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
It was noted that Yale and Middlebury have similarly well-produced videos for aimed at attracting applicants.
RSS Reader in Microsoft Office 2010
The new version of Outlook in Microsoft Office, which we are all getting in our desk PCs soon, has a RSS reader built in.