Christina Aguilera – “Fighter”

First of all, I love this song because I think it is very inspirational.

This song is being played in duple meter and it is in minor scale. This song is in ternary form, ABAB. There are two main melodies here and 4 important sections to the song. Section 1 (0:00-0:22) is melody A which is a statement because it is a new idea. This section is being played by the piano and the violins. Section 2 (0:23-2:37), is melody B which is a contrast because it goes into a completely different direction. This section is played by the guitars and drums. Section 3 (2:38-2:54) is a repetition because melody A comes back. Section 4 (2:55-4:06) is also a repetition because melody B is being repeated. The violin is a bit sharp but the piano has a traditional sound. Together they put you in a sort of reflective and melancholy mood. The guitar have a very piercing sound and together with the drums, they empower you, like you can overcome anything. The texture of this song is homophonic because even though there are two main melodies, they are not being played at the same time. The tempo is moderato and the harmony is consonant. The dynamic is mezzo forte when the guitar and the drums are playing but mezzo piano when the violins and the piano are playing. The beginning is a recitative but the rest of the song is an aria.

12 thoughts on “Christina Aguilera – “Fighter”

1. Baruch2013

I love the song choice! It’s been too long since the last time I heard this song… I have to say I think this song is pretty inspirational too. My favorite part of the song starts at 3:27- who can’t relate to those lyrics? I agree that the tempo is moderato.

1. Anisa Sapiqoti Post author

Thanks! I had a really hard time choosing a song but I thought this one had more variety and I like how she switches from soft to hard and tough through out the song.

2. MARGELINE SIMON

This is a good song, as what you said, inspirational and the rhythm from soft to hard and vice versa is very catchy too. I would just like to know more about on what do you think on how Christina sings it?

1. Anisa Sapiqoti Post author

I think she is a very good singer and her voice has a lot of range proven by all the different types of songs she has sung over the years. As to her vocals or details like that, I can’t really give you an opinion since I can’t tell what notes she is singing. Maybe by the end of the semester, we will be trained enough to tell the difference…or not lol

3. Sascha Walker

The song is in a duple meter with a homophonic form, with vocals by Christina, and accompaniment by computer sounds and electric guitar. The vocals ar in a major scale hiving the song a strong uplifting feel.

1. Anisa Sapiqoti Post author

What computer sounds are you referring to? In addition, you mentioned that you think the vocals are in major scale…..what about the instruments? Are you saying the whole song is in major scale? I think this song also has that darker side where you go through many things in your life…..only by going through them can you learn and become a better person….

4. NANCY GONZALEZ

Piano and strings accompany the song. Bgins as a recitative. Dynamics loud. Melody is strong, agressive. Homophonic texture. Christina makes emphasis in the line ” Makes me stronger…thanks for making me fire and is more intense pitch. She does a lot of wordpainting in the song. The lyrics of the song are very profound, nice choice of video!

1. Anisa Sapiqoti Post author

I agree that the beginning is recitative but the rest of the song I believe is an aria. Also, can you give some examples where she does word painting?

5. ZHUNJI WEN

Great choice! First of all, I love this song. I agree with you that the song is duple meter, and minor scale. Although the tempo is moderate, the strong bass makes this song really powerful. It would be greater if you put some details in the instruments. For example, the tone color?

1. Anisa Sapiqoti Post author

The violin is a bit sharp but the piano has a traditional sound. Together they put you in a sort of reflective and melancholy mood. The guitar have a very piercing sound and together with the drums, they empower you, like you can overcome anything.

6. Mykola Toropov

The song sounds like its homo-phonic but the guitar seems to blend and play the same melody as the singer at certain. Also if you listen to her voice she has a sort of echo effect going, can that change the texture to monophonic?

1. Anisa Sapiqoti Post author

The guitar is an accompaniment and even though there is an echo, it wouldn’t make it monophonic because monophony is a melody without an accompaniment and the instruments keep playing throughout the whole song.