The Center for Teaching and Learning is accepting applications on a rolling admissions basis for a limited number of spots in the Fall 2019 Hybridization Seminar. In this seminar, faculty fellows will meet in the fall semester to prepare a hybrid or online course to be taught in the 2019-2020 academic year.
The CTL Hybridization Seminar is a terrific opportunity for Baruch faculty who have limited to no experience teaching in an online/hybrid format. Seminar participants will be encouraged to think creatively about how teaching in this format can open up new pedagogical opportunities within and across disciplines. With the guidance of the CTL staff and feedback from other faculty fellows, participating faculty will develop syllabi, assignments, assessments, online learning resources, and digital spaces for their course. Faculty Fellows will be matched with a CTL Staff member who will provide support and collaborate with the Faculty Fellow throughout the semester.
Fellowships are open to all full time Baruch faculty members in all departments.
The seminar offers a customized experience to meet the needs of the diversity of courses taught at Baruch and a wide range of teaching styles. This is a hands-on seminar that will give faculty the opportunity and support to develop their hybrid course through a combination of seminar meetings, online engagement and peer review, cohort meetings with other faculty fellows, and one-on-one consultations with the CTL staff.
If accepted to the program, faculty are expected to attend all three seminar meetings in full on the dates below:
- Friday, September 20th, 10:30am – 3:00pm
- Friday, October 4th, 10:30am – 3:00pm
- Friday, October 18th, 10:30am – 3:00pm
In addition to attending the seminar meetings participants are expected to:
- Complete seminar work online to prepare for and follow up on topics discussed during the three seminar meetings
- Participate in two check-in meetings during the fall, either in person or remotely
- Attend one of the Fall 2019 Hybrid Showcases (date TBD) to see the work of previous Hybridization Seminar cohorts
- Present at the CTL Spring 2020 Showcase (date TBD) to share the hybrid course developed during the Fall 2019 seminar.
Eligibility & Compensation
Seats in the seminar are limited. Participation will require the approval of the department chair, as well as a guarantee that the hybrid/online course will be offered in the upcoming 2019-2020 year. Priority for the fellowships will go to faculty members who have not previously taught in an online/hybrid format, and/or to courses that have not previously been offered in this way.
Participating faculty will be given a course release equivalent to three credits that must be taken during the Fall 2019 or Spring 2020 semesters. The timing of the course release must be agreed upon by the faculty and department in writing in writing and is contingent upon workload approval.
- Please complete this application and proposal statement: Fall 2019 CTL Hybridization Seminar.
- Email a copy of the syllabus (for a course that has been taught in a traditional format in the past) or course description (for newly created courses) to CTL@baruch.cuny.edu.
- Participate in an interview. The CTL will reach out to you to set up an in-person or on-line interview in July or early August at a mutually convenient time.
Applications for the Hybridization Seminar are on a rolling admissions basis and should be submitted on or before Monday, July 22, 2019.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.