Literacy Narrative Brainstorm

1. Conventions:

Topic 1: Java programming language

1. Be able to translate other computer programming languages from Java
  2. Be able to write code for programs without needing to second guess on what I type up
  3. Be able to explain how and why I use certain things throughout my code

Topic 2: Creative writing

1. Improve on sentence structure and keeping my story consistent on if it’s past, present or future tense.
  2. Connect plot-lines together in a way that keeps the story interesting and doesn’t confuse the reader on what is currently happening
  3. Use imagery as a way of displaying what is happening in the story, instead of flat out stating what the reader is needs to know for the plot to make sense

Topic 3: Justice system

1. Understand how the legal system works and what is required to know as the basics
  2. Know what to respond with and when to respond during time in court
  3. Have necessary and only important questions to ask that are relevant to the case at hand

II. Discourse community:

Topic 1: Back when I was assigned Java class, there were many times where the teacher would share an answer for a problem, and I would display and explain to them and the class a more efficient way of coding the solution. There were also many times where group projects display how much one knows about the code, and who could decipher the code correctly.

Topic 2: During my senior year, I would ask my teacher on how to be able to extend on what my plot points well, and how to improve writing in general. They would always point out something that needed fixing, be it a simple grammar error or a deletion of a whole paragraph because it’s not necessary at all. It’s clear to see during peer editing how much one struggles on a certain topic, and it’s our job to make sure to help them from a different perspective.

Topic 3: There were plenty of concepts that were extremely confusing to learn about, and no matter how many times I would go over it, I couldn’t make any sense of it. Luckily, my friends were able to point out what I needed to focus on and it helped me to discern what was important to know in a topic. It also helps that even when everyone is confused on a topic, if everyone puts their minds to it, it’s possible to find the answer together.

III.Literacy sponsor:

Topic 1: My Java teacher helped guide me through all the steps to understand the Java programming language — I definitely wouldn’t have the knowledge about it I currently do without their help. Back when I was first starting off learning about computer programming, it was my teacher that approached me and stated that I seemed to be a natural at it, and because of that, it made me want to learn more about computer science, and even make a career out of it.

Topic 2: Back when I was really young, I struggled with writing a lot, since it just seemed like a pain to do. However, my mother was strict with my education, and made sure to make me write better by writing more, which definitely challenged my imagination when needing to write something. In grade school, multiple times there were teachers that encouraged going wild while writing for free write assignments. It’s helpful to know that when writing for those assignments, just writing down whatever comes to mind makes it easier to finish up.

Topic 3: Elementary school was the first time a teacher has shown my class what happens during court, and what happens to someone while showing evidence of them being guilty or not. It’s a relief to know that standing in court doesn’t mean you automatically get sentenced to jail. In middle school, one time we took a field trip to a convict getting his sentence. I didn’t understand it fully at the time, but I could sympathize with the convict, knowing that it wouldn’t be long before part of their life would be wasted. This made me want to make sure that I understand the law well enough to not end up in their shoes.