There was a man in the textile business in Manhattan who was running a very successful company until one day one of the big chain stores called him with some disappointing news. They were canceling a large order. The man promptly called his wife, told her he loved her, hung up the telephone, and immediately jumped out window of his office on the 10th story of the building.
While it’s impossible to say what other factors conspired to lead to his decision, what’s clear is that the man had lost perspective.
When adversity strikes, the natural feeling is “my life is over. I can never deal with this. What is there to live for now? And so on.” We lose perspective of the true abundance and blessings that we actually still have. Our first reaction is stress, high blood pressure, sadness, depression and melancholy. The exact opposite of this would be to do what is not natural to us: to take a step back and appreciate what blessings we actually have.
We achieve tranquility: peace, peace of mind, and satisfaction when we focus on what we already still do have – especially when we heard what we believe to be bad news.
The unnatural thing to do is to focus on what we have, not what we just lost. We focus on the beauty that is all around us. We look at the five dimensions of our lives and ask ourselves the question: What can we appreciate right now? What can we be thankful for in this moment?
Take a “Five Dimensional Inventory”. This means, on a sheet of paper, list each of your five dimensions: physical, financial, spiritual, mental and emotional.
Next, list all the blessings you have in your physical body. Can you see, hear, smell, touch, taste and breathe? Start with those and list every other thing you are thankful for physically.
Now do the same exercise for your financial dimension: what do you have, that if you lost it, you would be upset? Next, list your spiritual blessings: your conscience, your faith, your goodness, your spirituality, the ability to pray and help people. Next, your mental blessings: your ability to read, to learn etc. Finally list your emotional blessings. This means you should literally list every single person (by name) if you are thankful that they are in your life. If you lost him forever, would you be upset? If so, then put him on the list.
As you can imagine the “Five Dimensional Inventory” exercise is a life-changing experience, when done with honesty, patience and humility. It is a lot of work. And it should be done at least five days a week for a month. You should continuously work on your lists. Now prioritize the lists. Ask yourself which is more important to you: your hearing or your sense of smell? Which of the following blessings would you give up (if you had to give up one of them): your eyesight or your hands?
1) “Reflect upon your blessings, of which every man has plenty, not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.”
– Charles Dickens
2) “Never let a day pass without looking for the good, feeling the good within you, praising, appreciating, blessing, and being grateful. Make it your life commitment, and you will stand in utter awe of what happens in your life.”
– Rhonda Byrne
3) “Practice gratitude relentlessly. As you practice gratitude you will attract more thoughts and feelings of gratitude. In a short time your entire being will be saturated with it, and you will experience a happiness that is beyond what you can imagine. This is what is ahead for you when you choose gratitude as your way of life. And if you can really live in this highest state of gratitude, you will never have to ask for anything. Everything you want will be given to you before you even ask, because gratitude is the magnetic substance that opens every single door in the Universe.
– Rhonda Byrne
4) “If it doesn’t nourish your soul, get rid of it.”
5) “What would you say the biggest blessing in the world is? What is the greatest attribute anyone can have? What is the #1 thing that will guarantee human happiness?
I would say the answer the all the questions is ONE THING: gratitude. If there is only ONE THING I could teach my kids to do every day and every minute of every day – that would be to thank God and appreciate their abundant blessings… that guarantees happiness. THUS – the ABILITY to appreciate and thank and be grateful is the GREATEST Blessing of all.”
– Jack Doueck
6) “Be THANKFUL for Unknown BLESSINGS ALREADY in their way!!”
7) “Take just ONE minute today and look around you and within you and try for just that minute to understand the utterly amazing miracle and incredible perfection and beauty you are experiencing and observing!”
– John Assaraf
8) “There are two words that, when spoken, have the most unfathomable power to completely change your life. Two words which, when they pass your lips, will be the cause of bringing absolute joy and happiness to you. Two words that will create miracles in your life. Two words that will wipe out negativity. Two words that will bring you abundance in all things. Two words which, when uttered and sincerely felt, will summon all the forces and vibrations in the Universe to move all things for you. The only thing standing between you, happiness, and the life of your dreams is two words… THANK YOU!”
– Rhonda Byrne
9) “Enjoy the little things because one day you may look back and realize that they were BIG things.”
10) “If you want to feel rich, just count all of the things you have that money can’t buy.”
11) “If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is “thank you,” it will be enough!”
– Meister Eckhart
12) “If there was one answer to all questions, it would be love and gratitude. If there was a way to overcome all obstacles, it would be love and gratitude. If there was a way to end all conflict, it would be love and gratitude. If there was a most important lesson to learn in life, it would be love and gratitude. If there was one message I could share with you, it would be love and gratitude. And if there was one thing I could say to you, it would be thank you, I love you.”.
– Coach Matthew Armstrong
13) “The single greatest thing you can do to change your life today would be to start being grateful for what you have right now. And the more grateful you are, the more you get.”
14) “I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes — until I met a man who had no feet.”
– Jewish Proverb quote
15) “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have, you will never, ever have enough.”
16) “Whenever you can’t think of something to be grateful for, remember your breath. With each breath you take, you can say, ‘I’m still here.’ Make each day a holiday of thankfulness -and give yourself the gift of gratitude!”
– Oprah Winphrey
17) “I have noticed that the Universe loves gratitude. The more grateful you are, the more goodies you get. When I say ‘goodies,’ I don’t mean only material things. I mean all the people, places, and experiences that make life so wonderfully worth living.”
– Louise Hay
18)”People often say that ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder,’ and I say that the most liberating thing about beauty is realizing that you are the beholder. This empowers us to find BEAUTY in places where others have not dared to look, including INSIDE OURSELVES!”
– Salma Haye
19) “I spent the day, doing what I always do at the end of year, counting my Blessings, LITERALLY. That’s how you keep ’em coming.”
20) “When you focus on what you have, your ABUNDANCE increases. I started with my breath. Noticing being alive is a good start!”
21) “The only thing that feeling bad accomplishes is to plummet you into anxiety, despair, depression, and stress. In such situations, ask yourself in that moment what THOUGHT you can have that will make you feel GOOD!”
22) “Gratitude BRINGS MORE to be grateful about, so today I make the point of expressing gratitude for everything in my LIFE!”
– Louise Hay
23) “I live in a state of radical APPRECIATION. I give humble thanks for ALL that I have. PARADISE is where I am!”
24) “Don’t wish it were easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for fewer problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom.”
– Earl Shoaf
25) “Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting”
– Elizabeth Bibesco
26) “The next time you find yourself surrounded by darkness in the middle of a storm and everything is at its absolute worst, take a moment to GIVE THANKS – because you know that no matter what, the sun is going to RISE. It will get better!”
27) “You simply will not be the same person two months from now after consciously giving THANKS each day for the abundance that exists in your life. And you will have set in motion an ancient spiritual law: the more you have that you are grateful for, the more will be GIVEN you!”
– Sarah Ban Breathnach
28) “Joy attracts more joy. Happiness attracts more happiness. Peace attracts more peace. GRATITUDE attracts more GRATITUDE. Kindness attracts more kindness. Love attracts more love.
Your job is an inside one. To change your world, all you have to do is change the way you feel inside. How easy is that?”
– Rhonda Byrne
29) “We can never bring anything to us unless we are GRATEFUL for what we have. In fact, if somebody was completely and utterly GRATEFUL for everything, they would never have to ask for anything, because it would be given to them before they even asked. That is the power of GRATITUDE!”
30) “To be upset over what you don’t have is to waste what you DO have!”
– Ken S. Keyes, Jr.
31) “The next time you find yourself surrounded by darkness in the middle of a storm and everything is at its absolute worst, take a moment to GIVE THANKS – because you know that no matter what, the sun is going to RISE. It will get better!”
32) “Alzheimers, Cancers, Crohn’s, Eczema, Cerebral Palsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinsons, Lupus, Mental Retardation, Brain Tumor !!! I know I have your attention NOW ! To My Friends: Give GRATITUDE for what you have in your LIFE! Stop complaining and Live your Life NOW! Stop Worrying about the Economy and Live for the Moment. STOP Complaining, Bitching, Griping, and Living in Fear. Positive Thoughts can Only bring Positive Life Changes, and will Attract Positive People. I get many messages from friends who are complaining about their problems, economy problems, or other problems that they can’t even control. I ask them one question…How would your life be in comparison to what you think it is now if you lost your House? Put things in perspective and live your life on the blessings you have at this very moment.”
– Alan Mandell
33) “I give myself a good cry if I need it, but then I concentrate on all GOOD things STILL in my life!”
– Mitch Albom
34) “No matter who you are, no matter where you are, no matter what your circumstances or desires, if you make a gratitude list every day of the things you’re grateful for, you will see your life take off! GRATITUDE is your MAGIC WAND! Whatever you point gratitude at increases, expands, and escalates, but you have to pick up that magic wand, and use it! Got it?”
– Rhonda Byrne
35) “It’s impossible to feel sad or have any negative feeling when you’re grateful. If you’re in the midst of a difficult situation, look for something to be GRATEFUL for!”
– Rhonda Byrne
36) “MIRACLES happen every day. Not just in remote country villages or at holy sites halfway across the globe, but here, in our OWN lives!”
37) “When you’re in joy, you attract the highest and best in every area of your life. Joy increases to the exact degree that you deliberately increase your good thoughts, good words, and good actions. I’ve found in my life that the easiest way to increase my joy is to religiously practice GRATITUDE until I’m a GRATITUDE machine!”
– Rhonda Byrne
38) “The you praise and CELEBRATE your life, the more there is in life to CELEBRATE!”
39) “The single greatest thing you can do to change your life today would be to start being grateful for what you have right now. And the more grateful you are, the more you get.”
40) “What you focus on expands, and when you focus on the goodness in your life, you create more of it. Opportunities, relationships, even money flowed my way when I learned to be grateful no matter what happened in my life.”
41) “Every day, tell at least one person something you like, admire, or appreciate about them.”
– Richard Carlson
42) “Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone. G.B. Stern”If you count all your assets, you always show a profit.”
– Robert Quillen
43) “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.”
– William Arthur Ward
44) “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”
– John Kennedy
45) “Gratitude is the least of the virtues, but ingratitude is the worst of vices”
– Thomas Fuller
46) “If you want to turn your life around, try thankfulness. It will change your life mightily.”
– Gerald Good