1. “The Power of Habit” by Charles Duhigg
JD’s Comment: A very important book that, if implemented, can help you change your life.
2. “How to Win Friends and Influence People” by Dale Carnegie
JD’s Comment: This is one of my all-time favorite books. A must-read for anyone seeking a career in just about anything.
3. “Think and Grow Rich” by Napolean Hill
Another one of my all-time favorites. Every few years I have to pick it up and read it again to remind myself to stay focused on my specific goals and mission in life. As you read it, replace the words “wealth” or “money” with any goal in any dimension of your life.
4. “Joseph: How One Man Can Make a Difference” by Jack Doueck
This book was published in 2002. I wrote it to help inspire people to have more meaning in their lives. It is about a good friend and mentor of mine who passed away too young. The hundreds of stories in this book are true and have been verified. There is a warning on the cover: “WARNING: This book may change your life. Its incredible stories are likely to produce an uncontrollable urge to help others and a strong desire to do good things.” It also comes with a Money Back Guarantee (on the inside cover): “If the stories… do not inspire you … the purchase price will be refunded by the publisher.” It was a big hit!
5. “Unstoppable: 45 Powerful Stories of Perseverance and Triumph from People Just Like You” by Cynthia Kersey
Just as the subtitle says a lot of really inspiring stories of people who overcame adversity. I never get tired reading about people making comebacks.
6. “Left to Tell” by Immaculée Ilibagiza
Very important book about the power of forgiveness to transform lives.
Please see my book review, “Left to Tell.”
7. “How The Mighty Fall” by Jim Collins
Very important book about how companies overcome failure and make comebacks. A great example of the 6 steps in action, with specific corporate examples such as IBN etc.
Please see my book review, “How The Mighty Fall.”
8. “How High Can You Bounce: Turn Setbacks into Comebacks” by Roger Crawford
I speak about Roger Crawford in my lectures. He is a true expert on resiliency and overcoming adversity. His book is a must-read for anyone who wants to build these skills.
9. “Unmeasured Strength” by Lauren Manning.
On September 11th Lauren’s life was changed forever when she walked into an elevator in the World Trade Center. This is the story of how she survived and thrived. It is one of the most powerful and inspiring books I have ever read on overcoming adversity.
10. “The Road to Success is Paved With Failure” by Joey Green.
This is a book that describes hundreds of famous people who suffered rejections, defeats, failures, and other incredible challenges and triumphed!