May 5th email status update

We are continuing to address the issues related to the M365 email cutover. If you are experiencing problems accessing your email on your Baruch-issued device, please follow the instructions that explain how to remove and add your Outlook account in the video below.

If you are still experiencing problems with your email after following the instructions in this video, please email the helpdesk with Outlook Registry Key Needed in the subject.

May 4th email status update

The cutover to M365 email occurred yesterday. Email messages are now arriving in users’ M365 accounts. Outgoing messages are also being sent via the M365 service, rather than our on-premises server. However, there are changes to our migration plan due to issues discovered in the final stages of the transition. We will describe these changes below.

Outlook on Windows Devices

We had numerous issues with Outlook on Windows where the old and new email accounts were not appearing in the same profile as it was before the cutover. In addition, users are experiencing other issues, such as pop-up windows requesting an account login. Working with CUNY Central and Microsoft Support we determined that there was due to the on-premises and cloud servers having the same primary email address. To regain the previous functionality, we restored the configuration on the cloud server so that the firstname.lastnameXX@login.cuny.edu address is the primary one affiliated with your M365 mailbox. M365 is still fully functional with the firstname.lastname@baruch.cuny.edu address, and all mail addressed to @baruch.cuny.edu email addresses is only going to the M365 mailboxes. You must access the M365 mailbox to receive your email. While some email may go out with the @login.cuny.edu address, that should not affect your ability to receive email to your @baruch.cuny.edu address. You do not need to share your @login.cuny.edu email address. If you wish to not have your @login.cuny.edu address go out to people we can change your primary email in M365 back to @baruch.cuny.edu, but you will no longer be able to have both accounts in the same Outlook profile. You can have them in different profiles or use mymail.baruch.cuny.edu for access to your old email. If you have take the time to put the old email you need in the M365 system you can likely disconnect from the old server and we can make your @baruch.cuny.edu address primary which will resolve issues. You can also use the Outlook web client to send email as @baruch.cuny.edu from your M365 account (but it must be selected manually unless it is your primary address)

This configuration change will restore the behavior of both mailboxes being visible at the same time in Outlook. We are finding that many computers need to have a new profile created to use the accounts properly at this point. We are deploying staff as quickly as possible to help users who need assistance as well as providing a special chat room to help people individually if possible.

This change away from the baruch.cuny.edu email being primary in the cloud is a temporary change that we will be changing back in the near future. In fact, once you have either migrated your email to M365 or decided to not migrate your mail we can change your primary email in M365 back to baruch.cuny.edu and will instruct you to remove the on-campus baruch.cuny.edu email server from all your devices. It is important you work to either migrate your email or use Webmail only for referring to email as soon as possible.

Outlook for Mac, Apple Mail for iOS, and Outlook App for iOS and Android

Users who have configured their mail reader for the new M365 account on iOS devices can access their legacy and new mail from an integrated display as we planned. This includes users of Outlook for Mac. While we were seeing some issues of slowness to the on-campus server from mobile devices, these are ameliorated by no new mail coming to the client.

Webmail

There are 2 separate login processes to retrieve M365 email and the legacy Baruch email. The “Quick Links” drop down menu on the College’s web site lists them separately under “Faculty/Staff” as:

Email (starting May 3, 2022) — This uses CUNY Login
Email (thru May 2, 2022) – This uses Baruch username

If you are having client issues Webmail is a safe way to access your email and should always present the correct mailbox.

Resource mailboxes

For most users their resource accounts assigned to them are appearing in the Windows Outlook client automatically. To access a Resource Account mailbox, go to the upper right corner of the M365 Webmail window and click on your name. Select “Open another mailbox”. When the entry form pops up type the name of the Resource Account and press “Open” (it will search if you don’t know the exact name.) If more than one choice appears, select the appropriate Resource Account.

To manually add the resource mailbox to Outlook for Windows, you will go to File/Account Settings/Account Settings, and select “new” in the box. You will need the @login.cuny.edu name of the resource mailbox which we will be distributing to authorized users. You may need to re-enter your CUNY Login credentials and restart Outlook but your mailbox will appear. The @baruch.cuny.edu address of the mailbox will work fully for sending and receiving emails just like user mailboxes, but sometimes the @login.cuny.edu address might be visible.

14 Responses to May 5th email status update

1. TJoyce says:

none of this is working. My iOS devices receive mail but cannot send. My Office 365 account has completely shutdown even though when I configured it on Monday it said I had done it successfully. I reconfigured it again. However, I keep getting prompted by Micrcosoft for my username and password which they don;t accept. When I try to change my password it says I cannot. I am completely frustrated and cannot use my baruch email.

2. Hi –

I use Apple products. I have hundreds of past and future calendar appointments associated with the legacy Exchange account that are no longer accessible on my IOS devices. I have checked the settings to ensure that the default calendar is the legacy account and I have de-activated the calendar associated with the new 365 account. How do I access my appointments?

Thank you,
    Kristin

3. RMcGonagle says:

Although my 365 account is up, it has only emails that flowed in as of late yesterday afternoon. I have no access to previous and important informational emails. My calendars for office staff are not there. Will they appear?
    It looks like I have to quit Outlook, then sign in and choose which mail box I want to see in order to get old emails and my calendars.
    I haven’t tried to set up my iPhone or IPad yet, but assume as above, I will have the same issues.

Thank you,
    Rita

4. GHaeringer says:

On iOS the email sent are from my login.cuny.edu (i.e., if someone replies to my email it will be sent to my login.cuny.edu email address). There is no way to have it being sent from by Baruch email (if I change the settings to have my Baruch email the system reverts it to my login.cuny.edu address).

In the Mail app of Mac OS I can do that: change the settings so that the sender is my Baruch email.

5. tedgordon says:

With Apple Mail on MacOS 12.3.1, I can view the old and new servers with no issues. Emails addressed to my @baruch.cuny.edu address show up in my @login.cuny.edu account. However, I only can send email from my @login.cuny.edu email address. How can I send emails from my old @baruch.cuny.edu email address? This is a major issue, because professional contacts, fieldwork informants, et al all only know my @baruch.cuny.edu address, and some may even filter out the new address as spam or wonder if there’s some kind of spoofing or phishing going on.

• adowning says:

From the above: “Once you have either migrated your email to M365 or decided to not migrate your mail we can change your primary email in M365 back to baruch.cuny.edu and will instruct you to remove the on-campus baruch.cuny.edu email server from all your devices. It is important you work to either migrate your email or use Webmail only for referring to email as soon as possible.” You can start to send again from the Baruch address as soon as your old mail is moved into your M365 account. If you need help doing this, please join our Zoom session. If you don’t want to integrate your old mail with your new account, we can make the change right away. For help with making this decision, join the Zoom session or discuss with your school technology team.

6. Yuan-Mao Kao says:

Hi,

Can you let us know how to make my @baruch.cuny.edu address primary? I can only send emails from my @login.cuny.edu address, but I cannot receive any email sent to my @login.cuny.edu address (I can receive the email sent to my @baruch.cuny.edu address). If I send someone my emails from @login.cuny.edu, I cannot receive their emails if they directly reply to @login.cuny.edu.

I am using Outlook on Windows PC and Android phones.

Although I can manually select my @baruch.cuny.edu address by using https://outlook.office.com/, it’s too inconvenient if I have to do it in every email I send.

Thank you,
    Yuan-Mao

• adowning says:

7. DLeung1 says:

How can I resolve the following error when when trying to login via the webmail for the first time? Thanks.

UTC Date: 2022-05-06T14:33:32.557Z
    Client Id: B106805E3DA046E4965652C694B56753
    Session Id: 9179b3c8-8b4e-41ec-a20a-0b62c4114368
    Client Version: 20220408004.16
    BootResult: configuration
    err: Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa2.Server.Core.OwaUserHasNoMailboxAndNoLicenseAssignedException
    esrc: StartupData
    et: ServerError
    estack: f@https://outlook.office.com/mail/?actSwt=true:297:223838
    de</</<@https://outlook.office.com/mail/?actSwt=true:297:232990

st: 500
    ehk: X-OWA-Error
    efe: DS7PR03CA0306, BY5PR13CA0024
    ebe: DM6PR14MB2233
    emsg: UserHasNoMailboxAndNoLicenseAssignedError

8. This is making life very hard for me.
    I use Spark as a mail app on my desktop, laptop, ipad and phone. The 365 account was added on the iOS apps but not on my computers.
    To make things (much) worse, I lost access to my baruch.cuny.edu emails which were not transferred to the new account.

The procedure you suggest to manually move them from the old account to the new account assumes one has Outlook 2019, which I do not. There is (according to Microsoft) no way to transfer the emails from the Outlook web app to the new account.

I would just send them from the old account to another one I control… but when I try to do that I receive an automated message telling me it is impossible to send emails from the old account, and to use the new one… where of course I don’t have the said email.

Sorry, but I have to ask: how could it look like a good idea to implement changes in a way that would effectively cut off from their mail history anybody who is not using Outlook as their email client?

9. Hi,

2 questions about the transition:

1. I saw the note about making the baruch email default:

“Once you have either migrated your email to M365 or decided to not migrate your mail we can change your primary email in M365 back to baruch.cuny.edu and will instruct you to remove the on-campus baruch.cuny.edu email server from all your devices. It is important you work to either migrate your email or use Webmail only for referring to email as soon as possible.”

How do we request this change, or when will it be implemented? I’m getting lot of responses emailing me about a “new address”.

2. Is there a way to update the name shown on the account? My baruch email corresponds to my middle name, which I what I go by, but now I’m John Gosnell and its leading to confusion.

Thanks,

Stephen Gosnell, Natural Sciences

10. 1. So let me see if I have this straight. To migrate my old email inbox to M365 I need to export to a .pst file and then import. Once I do that I can request that you change my “primary” email address back to the baruch.cuny.edu domain and from then on my outgoing email will bear my old/existing email address, I don’t have to deal with the login.cuny.edu domain as far as email goes (Desktop Outlook or Web)? Will I need to delete the login.cuny.edu mailbox from my iOS device and then add it back with the baruch.cuny.edu domain?

2. There is an issue with faculty sending me emails that show their login.cuny.edu address, can I just hit reply and assume the email will get back to them or do I need to manually edit each return address to the baruch.cuny.edu domain?

3. I use desktop Outlook on my office computer and I recently started to get a message telling me that due to unspecified issues my mail has been moved to a “Temporary Server” and asking if I want to use it. I don’t know what to choose so I just close Outlook and use the web. Will this issue be resolved once you change my primary email back to baruch.cuny.edu?