This is the MEXT Scholarship Office from the Consulate General of Japan in New York. We are writing to inform you that the MEXT Scholarship Japan Studies application period has begun.
This email is being sent to university professors of Japanese and in otherwise related positions who have collaborated with the New York Consulate in the past. If this email has been sent to you in error or you are no longer in such a position, we are deeply sorry for the inconvenience. Please inform us and we will remove you from the mailing list.
If you have undergraduate students who would be interested in applying for an intensive, immersive Japanese studies scholarship program, please feel free to forward them the following information.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) offers several government-sponsored scholarships: Japan Studies, Research, Undergraduate, and Specialized Training.
At this time, the Japan Studies embassy-recommended scholarship – an intensive one-year study in Japan program for currently enrolled undergraduate students – is available. The Consulate General of Japan in New York will be accepting applications until Friday, February 10th, 2023, at 5 PM. Applications must be delivered by mail or in-person (appointment only); email will not be accepted.
Applicants who pass the first wave of screening will be invited to New York for an in-person interview and Japanese exam. Successful candidates will depart for Japan in the fall of 2023.
Applicants for the Japan Studies Scholarship must be:
- a U.S. citizen.
- currently majoring in Japanese or Japan-related studies.
- born between April 2, 1993, and April 1, 2005.
- have studied Japanese language or culture at a university for a total of 1 year or more as of September 1, 2023.
Benefits of the Scholarship
- Fully waived tuition for one year.
- Paid flight to and from Japan.
- Monthly stipend of 117,000 JPY plus additional supplemental allowance.
Useful Links & Information:
- Interested parties can find more information here on our website.
- Application forms and past exam reference materials can be found here. We strongly recommend reading the scholarship’s guidelines, particularly sections on eligibility, screening process flowchart, and documentation, before making general inquiries.
- If you are unsure whether your current permanent address falls under the NY Consulate’s jurisdiction, please consult this page.
If you have further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at email@example.com or call direct at (212) 418-4463.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Thank you for your time.
Anna Dan, Vice Consul
Melanie Budney, Scholarship Coordinator
MEXT Scholarship Program
Consulate General of Japan in New York
299 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10171
Tel: 212-418-4463 (Direct)